At Aura Biosciences, we are developing a new class of therapies based on a virus-like particles (VLPs) to target and destroy cancer cells selectively, while leaving surrounding tissue unharmed. By safely eliminating cancer locally, we can treat early and transform the lives of people with a wide range of cancers that are not optimally managed today.
Our lead program in choroidal melanoma is designed to selectively kill cancer cells in the choroid and our expectation is that this product will be utilized as a first-line therapy, instead of radiotherapy that has many side effects, including severe vision loss. Come be a contributing team member in the development of a first-in-class treatment that is about to initiate a pivotal trial.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Foster an environment for a legal function that adds strategic value to the organization by proactively implementing business-oriented solutions within the framework of the company’s risk tolerance profile;
- Serve as trusted advisor and confidant to Aura’s Board of Directors and Management;
- Lead all legal activities, including corporate law, SEC filings and compliance, capital markets and financial transactions, business partnerships and other strategic collaborations, litigation, contracts, including clinical trial agreements, corporate governance, employment and human resources activities and general legal support of all other business activities;
- Manage a diverse set of external counsel;
- Provide legal support regarding business development transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, licensing and collaborations. This includes support of due diligence, transaction negotiation and drafting, and ongoing post-closing legal support, as needed;
- Support commercial activities and FDA/other regulatory body compliance;
- Support the future growth of a commercial organization
- Provide legal alignment with investor relations/public relations teams by providing legal oversight in all external communications; and
- Acts as Corporate Secretary for all matters, including Board of Directors and committee meetings.
- JD from top tier accredited law school; MBA or other advanced degree preferred
- 15+ years of related experience within a top tier law firm and/or public life sciences company;
- Strong securities and corporate governance experience, including demonstrated knowledge of applicable securities law;
- Significant experience coordinating filings related to and advising clients regarding compliance with a U.S. securities laws;
- Experience managing litigation preferred, including securities class action and patent/product litigation;
- Experience in managing business development process from opportunity assessment through post-closing support;
- Team player, energetic, able to handle stress and high volume of work;
- Strong written verbal and communication skills;
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to adapt to changing priorities; and
- Possess a good blend of strategic and operational experience with the ability to see the big picture and dive into details;
- Can negotiate skillfully in touch situations with both internal and external groups. Should be both direct and diplomatic;
- Communicates results, outcomes and information appropriately with regard to business needs and potential impact in a timely fashion and can effectively present ideas and get buy-in;
- Comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Based in the Company’s West Cambridge (Alewife) office.
How we Work:
Aura is powered by a passion for bringing together diverse people, ideas and technologies behind common purpose: to create breakthroughs in diseases with significant unmet medical needs. We constantly seek opportunities to broaden our impact and reach, using new platforms and technologies, and partnering to ensure that our drug development expertise reaches its full therapeutic potential.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
Email a cover letter and a copy of your CV to HR@aurabiosciences.com referencing the position description in the subject line.